Thread: Code it again!!
View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2002
Connoisseur

bobomon is flying high
Default Re: to follow it up..

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
[B]I liked Limewire for it's ease of use..
I didn't like the part about the spyware and the
freezing and of the lack of ability to resume (it does a couple of times a day, but that counts as maybe 10% of the times), but what REALLY-REALLY-REALLY annoys me:

Limewire-nodes counts as about 10% of the network, maybe less. Roughly 50% of the users use Morpheus. The guys using Limewire are almost exclusivly the worst sharers (that's my not very solidly based assumption). *Limewire "prefers" other limewire-nodes. That makes the limewire-"community" a subculture on the gnutella network. If you are lucky enough to get a morpheus node on your connections-list, you will see that it (usually) has a tenfold as many hosts attached to it countary to the limewire peers.
That is not and does not represent my experience... my worst experiences in searching are almost exclusively when I have a large number of Morpheus connections. That includes Limewire and a half dozen other clients I use.

Quote:
I recently tried qtella on my linux system and my hits quadruppled on the long-hard-to-find-ones and
increased with a 40-50 fold on the generic searches.... Then I suddenly realized how crappy limewire really is. It's nice in consept and theory but it just don't scale up as a c++ client will.
Perhaps this has more to do with Limewire not flooding the net with requests for extended periods of time ... some clients do not adhere to this pricipal and ignore the fact that doing this is bad for the entire Gnutella community not to mention selfish. Yes, I believe Limewire can be improved but the Java approach, I believe, is simply an attempt to service mutliple platforms in the easiest way possible.