View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2002
Unregistered

Question odd Search Result...

Hi,
Maybe someone could help me with the search engine... or maybe I my mind is too boolean to figure out what's going on!

I recently upgraded to limewire pro 2.5.5

I did 3 simultaneous search with Any Type selected.

search(1) : ******.
I would expect files with the string "abcdefgh" to show up, or maybe files found under a shared subfolder having the string in it's name, hopefully not case sensitive.

2- right then, search(2) for a SHADOW.
I would expect expect all the search result found in search 1 to show up in search 2 AND everything matching the string... which is not the case!!! the results are very different from the fist search.

3- then a third search(3): ******
What I first expected was a total of search 1 and 2 (if the second one had given what was expected) and every files containing BOTH strings in the filename or path...wrong again!!! The result was quite different, and the funny part is, I did get a similar result with the first search... the filename was exactly the same, with the spaces and the caracter case, and the size was the same too (rounded up to KB though), but the IP was different! Even with a repeat search on all three, one would find one, and the second would find another but would end up the same

(btw, I tryied to download both, Limewire's display disappeared! could still minimize and restore, but there was nothing in the window!)

after a fresh reboot (lost everything in the download queue) and a small cleanup (clearup incomplete files... they won't be reused!) I started my search testing all over.

Other search - 2 simultaneous search:

4- search for "ONEIL"
you'll get stuff that has either Oneil or even O'neil (not case sensitive of course!)

5-now do a search with "NEIL"
you won't get files with Oneil or O'neil in it's string

Can somebody explain me why?

Thanks

Last edited by birdy; February 1st, 2008 at 06:43 PM.