View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2002
mdouma46

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by ajutagir
So the suggestion is for an option to prompt the user upon quit?
Yeah, essentially, I guess that'd be it.

Well, I just wondering what the reasoning behind preventing the "quit" menu option from really meaning "quit". I seemed somewhat similar to the reason you'd prompt the user with a save dialog box if they had made any changes to a document--that the user has "unfinished" business, and quitting would result in data loss.

The first option would quit limewire immediately and the window buttons would look like this (no •):

If you've chosen the "prompt me at shutdown" option, immediately after clicking ok on the preferences window the limewire application window would look like this:

That's the standard way a window would look in an application if you had made changes that weren't saved. It would let the user know immediately that the pref has been set, and that there's no way they're going to get out of Limewire without addressing that dialog box. I'd probably make this the default setting. Most users are used to that kind of a thing. They're used to being prompted "would you like to save changes" when they try to quit the application, but have unfinished business. They're not used to a window suddenly dissappearing into the dock when they expect to quit the app. Maybe add a little note underneath it that says "to turn off this prompt see Limewire Preferences". Maybe even add a checkbox like "don't ever prompt me again"

I mean, when that happened to me personally, I thought--"oh woops, I must have the shutdown pref setting wrong." And so then I go and change it. I mean it's no problem for someone like me or you (programmers) who can think on our feet rather well. But after reading many a thread in these forums I've seen all the ridiculous crap you guys are subjected to, simply because the end user doesn't know his or her @ss from a hole in the ground.

Also, most Mac users are also used to Command+Q (holding down the Command key and then pressing Q) as being the shortcut to quit an application. Command+W closes the current window without quitting the application. Command+Option+W closes _all_ current windows in the application without quitting it.

Also, just one other little thing. I know that you can hold down command and click on the Limewire window to invoke what we mac users call a "contextual menu"--basically like right clicking in Windows. The only thing is, on a mac the standard key to do that is the control key not the command key. If I hadn't seen that one post about it, I don't think I ever would have figured it out on my own-(and no, I'm not a _complete_ moron anyway). It didn't make sense to me, since I new you could right click on a windoze machine and choose "Repeat Search" etc., but had no clue how to do that on the mac. I have a 5 button mouse myself on my mac, so I just set an application specific setting for Limewire where Right click is mapped to Command click instead of the default Control click.

Anyway hope this helps....