View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2001
Unregistered

I got into Gnotella when I got DSL a couple months ago. I use the Usenet newsgroups to get most of the files I want and use IRC as a backup.

I originally shared the games/etc I was downloading as the 50+ multivolume compressed files, but nobody seemed to download them. I assume this is because people using Gnutella aren't used to this.

I tried putting all the multivolume files into one ZIP file and within a minute I had a number of people downloading the file. So I zipped all the stuff I wanted to share into single zip files and now people are continually downloading.

I agree that it would be much better to share the multivolume files, but Gnutella isn't set up for it. The biggest problem is that Gnutella doesn't support (at least most of the clients don't) sending the full path of a file. So if you have five multivolume games you want to share and they all have an Install.exe, there is no way to tell which goes with which.

For now, I'm using the usenet and irc to get files, and using Gnotella to share with people who don't know how or can't get the files from the usenet.