View Single Post
Old September 4th, 2002
Apprentice

the_knight is flying high
Lightbulb Problem Solved!!!

For Anyone Experiencing the same weird problem. Here are some tips!

I had connected to my Mac an External Firewire Drive (Windows formatted). I went reading through the installer log that was in the trashcan after attempting the installation and I discovered that at its end, the installer was reporting that was unable to find some files...why? Because for some very odd reason was seaching on the Firewire drive. Of course the dumb installer couldn't find it, there's nothing to be found on that drive!!!
I can really imagine a clear reason why the installer was attempting to access such drive. In the fist place I did not Download the installer there, nor I used the attached drive to save the unstuffed installer and in second place that drive is not even Mac formatted (HSF+), but is windows formatted (FAT32), so why the hell te installer was pointing at it in search of files that remains an obscure event to me...I use the removable drive only to archive cross platforms files like Quicktime movies and images

Concluding, I can give you the following advice coming from my direct experince:

Before attempting the installation of any Limewire clients, be sure to disconnect any attached drives (firewire or Usb), especially if it is a Fat32 formatted drive. That might help avoid the installer misbehaviour described above. It definitely worked in my case.
Download and install the MRJ 2.2.5 (about 4.1MB) or latest version from the Apple site

Then Download the 4.9MB LimeWire Mac no VM from:
Limewire.com other downloads page
That's the same 2.5 version, but without the embedded MRJ installer

This method should smoothen the installation process and also shorten your download time, since in such way you would be transferring only 9MB (4.1MB+4.9MB as mentioned above) against the 11.8MB of the full Limewire 2.5 installer

Good luck!

Last edited by the_knight; September 4th, 2002 at 01:49 AM.