View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2001
Moak

Hi afisk, I'm glad that limewire does not use proprietary data.

I can't agree with "trial area for new ideas", this is a very enthusiastic definition, hehe. It also isn't what Vinnie says, he sees e.g. Bearshare's QoS as his top secret client advantage without later public benefit to all developers (refering to public discussions, haven't subscribed to developer forums for longer). Also it is used far beyond trial, it's used in public Bearshare versions.

What you say about protocol development in the past: There have been public discussions and RFCs or steps to relase an RFC and all of those ideas have been well documentated (excluding HTML and this suboptimal protocol/client war).

Didn't we learn from the last years internet history:
For the interest of all users only an open standard will be good, proprietary is for single company interests.

I might new in gnutella, please tell me where I'm wrong! I'm willing to learn, maybe I didn't get the advantage of proprietary data in gnutella protocoll or have to accept it. My intention is to understand present and future of gnutella... as a programmer I got facinated by the idea of P2P.

Thx for reading.