View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2001
Novicius

Hummer is flying high
Default LimeWire install with Java 2 JRE 1.3.1

Hey all,

I've been trying fruitlessly to get LimeWire working on my newly-installed Red Hat Linux 7.1 OS (having used LimeWire religiously in Windows). I've experienced the well-documented "lock up on install" script problem with the LimeWireLinux.bin install, and turned to the LimeWireOther.zip install for a rememdy.

So far I've installed Java2 JRE 1.3.1 which I downloaded from www.javasoft.com, and I just finished installing the IBM JRE as advised by afisk on a thread I read I this forum just below (http://www.gnutellaforums.com/showth...?threadid=1930).

The problem I've experienced using both JREs is that:

1) When I go to the console and try the "java" command from the directory I downloaded LimeWireOther.zip to, I get a "bash:java: command not found". (keep in mind here that, while I'd call myself computer savvy, I'm green to Linux).

2) I managed to circumvent this problem by using the "PATH=" command and directing my system to "PATH=/opt/IBMJava2-13/bin" & "PATH=/opt/IBMJava2-13/jre/bin" (by simply typing "PATH=" in the console, and inputting the directroy into which the IBM Java2 JRE is installed). This meant that typing "java -classpath LimeWireOther.zip install" in the console now started the install launcher which then allowed me to install LimeWire onto my system.

3) The problem now is that, while the installer installed all the neccessary files (I beleive) to a /Limewire/ directory in /home/xxx/, I'm at a lost as to what to do next. I have a number of files - none of which execute the program. Among them are "LimeWire", "LimeWire.jar", "LimeWire.lax", "lax.jar", "collections.jar", etc etc etc...

...do I need to "unpack" these files any further? Do I need to somehow make my system more aware of JRE other than just using the "PATH=" command from the console everytime I log into GNOME? Is there something I'm missing? I've devoted a couple of hours to LimeWire over the last few days, and I feel like I've come so close - if anyone can throw me a lifeline, I'd be very appreciative

System: Red Hat Linux 7.1, AMD 800mhz, GNOME 1.2 (or whatever it is that comes standard with Red Hat Linux 7.1),6.5gb in my Linux partition, 128mb RAM, etc etc - nothing really out of the norm.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance,

Hummer