Thread: Error Of Type 2
View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2002
Apprentice

loucasa is flying high
Post More Information on Type 2 Solutions

Julie, et al.:

Yes, I have tried increasing the memory allocation, all the way up to 100 MB, and still got the Type 2 error ! A Type 2 error is not an out of memory error, though. Here's the description from Apple Error Codes '98:

ID=02 Address Error
The Motorola 68000 microprocessor can access memory in increments of one byte (8 bits), one word (16 bits), or one long word (32 bits). The microprocessor can access a byte of information at an odd or even memory address. But it must access a word or long word at an even memory address. So, when the microprocessor attempts to read or write a word or long word at an odd address, you see this error. Since that's a 50/50 proposition when running random code, this one shows up quite often.

I am in the process of going back through the archives and trying to see which versions DO work. So far, the pattern is not obvious. These work: 2.1.3, 2.3.1; these don't: 2.2.1, 2.2.3, 2.2.4, 2.4.1--even though they do not give the install error I noted above. 2.5.5, 2.5.5 Pro, 2.6.3, and 2.6.3 Pro Beta all give the error on install, and all give the Type 2 error, even if installed immediately after one of the functional versions. AND, the functional versions work with the default 2 MB memory partition.

I plan to work up through the installers between 2.3.1 and 2.5.5 today and I'll post the results when I get them.

Regards,
Lou