Thread: Error Of Type 2
View Single Post
Old September 21st, 2002
Apprentice

loucasa is flying high
Cool Problem Solved

Quote:
Originally posted by Julie Z
I use 2.4.4 and only had the problem when I first installed it until I increased the memory. Sometimes the CarbonLib extension can cause these types of problems. You need to make sure you have the correct version. The newer one's cause more conflicts. Not sure if it affects LimeWire. I know it does affect Quicken, for one.

Do you have a 68000 microprocessor? Those were in the older computers, I thought. This is what I find for OS 9 and what is in my Mac book: (Of course, it doesn't answer the question as to why you're still having the problem.)

<snip>

Here's the link
Okay, I have to admit it was a little silly for me not to think about the error message--of course I don't have a 68k family processor. But you got it right that it didn't answer why I'm still having the problem. And since I had tried increasing the memory partition without success I was dubious about that being the cause. Yes, the link to Apple did help.

As my subject indicates, I have solved the problem, but there is no guarantee of its generality--or that this is even the only pathway. But it worked for me. I'll present the action and results in chronological order. I downloaded the installers from:

http://www3.limewire.com/download/

All installers were the No VM version (since I already have MRJ installed) and non-Pro unless otherwise indicated. Also, the memory partition was left at the default 2 MB except for the final step indicated.

Started with 2.5.5 installed, then:[list=1][*]Installed full-size 2.6.3. Got noted error on install. Got Type 2 error on execution.[*]Re-installed full-size 2.5.5. Got Install error. Got Type 2 error.[*]Installed full-size 2.4.1. No install error. Type 2 error.[*]Installed 2.1.3. No install error. No run error.[*]Installed 2.2.1. No install error. Type 2 error.[*]Installed 2.2.3. No install error. Type 2 error.[*]Installed 2.2.4. No install error. Type 2 error[*]Installed 2.3.1. No install error. No run error.[*]Installed 2.3.3. No install error. No run error.[*]Installed 2.4.2. No install error. No run error.[*]Installed 2.4.3. No install error. No run error.[*]Installed 2.5.3. Got install error. No run error.[*]Installed 2.5.4. Got install error. No run error.[*]Installed 2.5.5 Pro. Got Install error. No run error.[*]Installed 2.6.3 Pro. Got Install error. Type 2 error.[*]Increased partition to 64 MB. No run error.[/list=1]
It's been running fine for 2 days now, so I'm a happy camper. As I said, there's no guarantee that this will work for everyone, or even anyone else, or that to get it to work all the steps are necessary. I'm guessing they're not. My rationale was merely to progress through the upgrades until it broke to see if I could isolate the culprit. Seems like 2.6.3 does something different, but the problem is not related to the install error.

I hope this helps anyone still having problems!

Lou