View Single Post
Old September 21st, 2002
Novicius

mightyunclean is flying high
Lightbulb

<Bitch-mode>

Hey Kaine,
Seems like it's down for maintenance. Though you'd never know without visiting this website & clicking on the 'chat' link. I was in the middle of a conversation & the server just closed. No global server messages/warnings to say what was happening or that it was going to happen. The only things server messages seem to be used for these days are to wish peeps happy birthday & game score updates from teams i've never even heard of (i'm not from the US).

On other opinions, Xolox is a great gnutella client & a very nice well-developed piece of work. But the gnutella protocol sucks at the moment. Why ? Because it seems it doesn't scale well at all, it works best on small networks with high bandwith. At present the network is clogged up with search requests, many of them old, leaving no bandwith to supply downloads/uploads. The switch to gnutella by Morpheus has exacerbated the problem, so this has brought in 'client-blocking' from some of the big guns like Bearshare & Limewire. Catch 22 - for the protocol to function in a workable fashion, it has to knee-cap part of the sharing community, so the sharing ideal suffers anyway.
Long live Open-nap.

</Bitch-mode>

PS> Still waiting for a Linux version.