View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2001
Unregistered

Angry Virus or currupt file??

I have been wrestling with a system error for several weeks now.
I have gone through several reloads (clean) of WIN2K. I suspect that the problem is related to a virus, but I will highlight the steps I have taken in detail.
The problem arises when...
I reboot, I loose a driver and my paging file is gone. The result is the same every time and has spread to freinds computer.

the steps I took
1. Reinstall windows, repartitioned and formatted(full) the entire drive.
2. reinstalled software, I did not have any problems I also installed F-secure and did a full system scan. Everything was fine
3. Downloaded apps that I was trying out off of lime share.
4. uzipped and installed app
5. reboot error message saying one or more drivers have failed and another saying the paging file is to small (if i try to change it the changes don't take)

6. If I attempt to reinstall windows setup crashes and exits out
7. I take a WIN98 CD boot with CD support type fdisk /mbr I then can reinstall windows. If I do not delete the partition then a full format the error messages will occur on the second or third reboot.

another important point - F-secure does not detect any viruses on my system

I had a clean install, but I just couldn't resist trying to download the software again 3d studio max 4. It was after reinstalling this that on reboot i had the same error.

My question
Could this be a virus, It did turn up on my freinds system after I gave him my mp3 library.
or
Could the install of 3d SM4 be currupting my paging file and screwing up my master boot record.

conclusion
I'm at my wits end with this, I have tried to get help from everyone and no one has had a good answer.