View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2002
Gnutella Jewel

mdouma46 is flying high
Default Spinning BeachBall of Death in OS X 10.2.1

I'm running OS X Jaguar 10.2.1 on a G4 400 (@450) w/ 768MB RAM, 80 GB 7200 RPM HD.

Limewire version 2.6.3 is basically unusable. I can't remember if it has ever worked okay for me or not.... Limewire starts up fine, but as soon as I press the "Later" button on the "Upgrade to PRO" dialog box, performance is unusable. Something seems to be sucking up all the CPU cycles, and I don't know what it is. Everything on my machine goes in slow motion and I have the SBBOD almost constantly.

Running "top" in the terminal doesn't help at all. As soon as I press the "Later" button, the terminal stops updating every second. It basically freezes where it was and so I have no clue what amount of the CPU cycles are going to what. My guess is that virtually all are going to Limewire. Say I click on the "Connections" tab. It may take about 5 minutes for the display to finally change to the Connections tab. The incredibly annoying thing is that the animated gif ads continue looping at normal speed, and seem to be unaffected by the whole thing!

As soon as I quit Limewire, everything returns to normal speed.

I've tried running 2.5.5 and it works fine, so I'd assume it's a Limewire thing and not an Apple/Java thing...

Anyway, any ideas? I've tried deleting and reinstalling, didn't do anything. Right now I've reverted back to 2.5.5...

Thanks in advance..