Thread: ToadNode
View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2002
Connoisseur

cultiv8r is flying high

Actually, they recently released a new version of Toadnode (tn3).

I guess its user interface requires some "getting used to" by some, but I certainly like it because it doesn't look like "Yet Another Napster-Look-Alike" (a la the major closed-source Gnutella clients out there).

Also, it appears to be a free product now, instead of the $5.00 fee after a 15 day trial. I haven't seen a single ad, nor did I notice that it installed any hidden spyware or, like recently, stealware.

Toadnode has been around for a long time actually. They were among the first ones. They stopped releasing newer versions, because they wanted to make Toadnode modular (as I recall). So, you could "snap-in" a new module for another network other than Gnutella. (I'm trying to do a similar thing, and it takes A LOT of time and cursing). Hence they didn't become as popular, because they appeared to be "dead" for a while.

The only issue I've seen with Toadnode so far, is that it has issues remaining connected to hosts. I'm not sure whether they have upgraded to the version 0.6 handshake, but I do know that they have implemented G(Web)Cache for the hosts.