View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2002
Connoisseur

cultiv8r is flying high

Quote:
but it seems it can affect a lot of people and the network itself. Are any considerations been taken on the new versions of the protocol/software ?
Indeed, a lot of people are affected, if not all. Only a few developers have found a temporary solution against some of the things I mentioned. The best one maybe that BearShare implemented "Secure Channels", although this is a proprietary solution thus not shared with other Gnutella developers.

These issues have been presented to the GDF before (an online mailig list with many of the Gnutella Developers - see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_gdf/). Things were discussed for a while, but have pretty much been abbandoned in place of "innovative" features, such as increasing your overall search result quality.

In my opinion, they're giving the most important issue a low priority, since there's no discussion how all Gnutella developers can protect their end users, the network and third parties using a uniform security feature. And that worries me, because "who laughs last, will laugh loudest".

Last edited by cultiv8r; October 3rd, 2002 at 06:46 AM.