View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2002
Unregistered

Default Things I've Noticed

I had this posted originally in the Beta area. Thinking it was for testing and wanting bug reports etc.. anyways, I was recommended to put in a mac area, so here it is.

A couple of things I have noticed when using LimeWire..

All versions I have used, currently 2.63, seem to have a habit of "forgetting" the list of downloads. This usually happens if a force quit is neccasry or if it crashes. I have had to make copies of download.dat now to ensure that I won't have to worry about that. However, it has happened even if it quits nicely.

I've also seen comments about it using a LOT of processor time. I myself have noticed this also with Jaguar. EVERYTHING I may have running at the same time runs dreadfully slow. And tests my patience badly.

Searches, I have had the software lock up when doing searches. It used to happen if I had several going (around 10) when I was using 9.2. However I have had it happen with 2 searches going. I get the spinning ball of death as one person put it. I have also had it ask me to redo the settings as I noticed one other person said they have had to do.

I have had the software lock up and/or crash when using the resume download option in all versions I have used. While running under 9.2 and 10.2. I have also had the same problem when refreshing the list in the Incomplete downloads. Under both OS's, and all versions I have used.

I have seen at least one of these problems reported by other users, so I'm guessing that they are probably common. Although I didn't feel like going through all 11 hundred and some threads.

With all the commanalities that people seem to be having with this software, one must wonder.

WHY put new features into software when they haven't solved problems that were apparent at least 3 versions, may more, ago.. I've been using this softjunk for around 4 months now, and have had several combinations of OS/Software versions and experience the same problems. What's up with that?

The only reason I continue to use it, is because there isn't much else out there. So I suffer, just like everyone else.