View Single Post
Old October 13th, 2002
_eLeCtRiFyInG MeMbRr_

nDiScReEt is flying high
Default Re: launching after install

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
i am running mandrake 9.0
i got limewire to install after a fair bit of work. my problem is a rather cosmetic one
there is no executeable program to launch limewire.
i can get the program to run - and it works fine - by typing ./runLime.sh in the LimeWire directory from a console window
i tried to add a menu entry so i could launch from my menu instead of opening a terminal and typing it everytime
using menudrake i made the menu entry with the launch command...
/home/darc/LimeWire/./runLime.sh
however it keeps giving me the error that it cannot find the program -- because the launcher is a shell script, i am assuming that the menu is looking for an executable
i tried making a symlink -- that didnt work either
any ideas how i can get limewire to launch from the menu ??
thanks
P.S - the ./runLime.sh command is the only one that will launch the program --
LimeWire -- or any others that i have tried that are supposed to work will not launch it either
This is an easy thing to create.

My instructions (always) will require the use of a terminal or console. I am explaining this for your benefit and more for the many newbies.

let us use "vi" since that type of editor is normally on a majority of *nix operating systems.

type:

vi LimeTime

(You can substitute "LimeTime" for any other name that you prefer that won't conflict with any pre-existing programs)

press:

i

to enable insert mode.

type all that follows:

#/bin/sh
sh $HOME/LimeWire/runLime.sh

(Substitute the path for your chosen absolute path to your installed LimeWire directory)

press:

Esc

to end your editing/insert mode.

type:

:wq

to save/write and quit.

type:

chmod +x LimeTime

(Again substitute "LimeTime" for your preferred executable name)

Test it by typing:

LimeTime

Your program should work without any hitch provided you run it from your home directory.

There are other ways to create an executable using other commands but that will be discussed at a later time when the need arises for now.

I hope this is helpful for you.

altoine