View Single Post
Old October 16th, 2002
Novicius

eryder is flying high
Question 0.7.3 problem with obtaining/maintaining connections

I'm rarely will be able to connect to any hosts, and when I am able to connect, it's for less than 10 minutes.

I'm a major newbie to gnutella and have some basic questions that I didn't find in any FAQ.

1. The address Phex shows is correct, however, I guess I'm behind a firewall that is built into my router (which my computer must go through to connect) and my publicly-viewable ip address is just the ip that the router has assigned to my machine, something like "24.16.54.1" or whatever instead of what my network stats (and Phex) show, could this be a problem? I'm guessing that it shouldn't be if Phex somehow knew what my "real" ip address was... Like I said though, I'w way new to this.

2. Listening port is set to 5580, I see that I can manually change the port number, could this help? What are my options here? (which ports are recommended?).

Any help is appreciated...

Oh, and a P.S., I've always used Limewire with okay-success (I still can), but the connections being flakey seem to be only a little better than with Phex, it usually switches hosts continually, rarely keeping one host for very long... might be related, I don't know.

Thanks,

eryder