View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2002
Professional Dork

caitydyd is flying high
Question bypass a firewall?

my problem is not with limewire but with my network. until last week we were able to use limewire and similar programs with out a problem.... however, over the long weekend last week, my school put up a damn firewall.

there is no SOCKS/ proxy info that they have disclosed to the network users, but they seem to have blocked many of the ports that are used in downloading...
but i dont know which ones are blocked (by #)

5190 is not, cause i can use my instant messanger, but 6346 is: within lw it says i am connected, and on the title bar its says "(4,257 files / 15,111 BG available)"
but im not connecting to any other users, (i know this because i searched for 4 pretty common mp3 files, got no results and added them to my wishlist--- 4 days later they are still on my wishlist, and haven't matched any files... it normally would take about 4 hours tops to find something uncommon, let alone something common)

so, i have a couple of questions, can LW use a different port? and is there a way to set it up so that it uses that port every time i restart it (i tried to set it to use 5190, since i know that one isnt blocked, but it didnt work, and when i restarted my computer and then LW, it had switched back to 6346. i don't really know much about ports or firewalls, or anything like that... but if anyone does i would really appreciate it.

~caity