View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2002
Connoisseur

Treatid is flying high

Yes - I'm certain the downloads weren't progressing. I use an independent network traffic monitor (there was traffic relating to the active connections - but not to the upload and download queues).

I agree that it is odd - LimeWire responded in all other ways - but the reported speed of the downloads was stuck rock solid (no variation at all). The time countdown looked to be about 1 second a second - so it was consistent - but there was no data transfer.

Sorry - I didn't kill the uploads and downloads. I did kill off all my connections - no difference.

Since then I've been struggling with LimeWire using way too much processor time.

When I initially installed LimeWire 2.7.0 I lost my download queue (a little over 1000 entries - outrageous I know - but it worked).

I used the resume incomplete downloads feature to resume all the incomplete files in my download queue (turned out at nearly 1800 files).

Since my last report LimeWire has been using more and more processor time. I have been deleting files (both from within LimeWire and directly from the incomplete folder) and shutting down and restarting LimeWire. Each restart used more processor time. On the last occassion it stuck at 100% processor utilisation (for an hour or so before I gave up).

I noticed that the downloads.dat file grew to a little over 9MB and was being re-written very frequently (subsequent refreshes while looking at the file would show its size rapidly rising from nothing to 9MB then back to nothing and grow again). Before the upgrade, the largest my downloads.dat file got to was 855K.

I have now deleted my download queue (and the downloads.dat file). And LimeWire seems to be behaving normally.

I shall play further and let you know how it goes.

There is a good chance that my problems were related to a corrupt downloads.dat file (even though it was being re-written?). I'll let you know how things go now that I'm starting the download queue from scratch...

Mark