View Single Post
Old October 22nd, 2002
Connoisseur

Treatid is flying high
Default Re: for treatid

Yes - I thought I was getting a bit garbled.

> You installed LW 2.7.

Yes.

> You had a large number of temporary files in the incomplete directory.

Yes.

> Initially there were no downloads in the download window. (Any active downloads from 2.6 were lost.)

Yes.

> You select a thousand incomplete files from the library and click "resume".

Yes - close to 2000 as it turns out.

> LimeWire kicks of 1000 downloads. Most of them are queued by LimeWire, but some enter the requery state.

The vast majority went quickly to the requery state. (aside - I've noticed that when I start LimeWire 2.7 that the files very quickly go to the requery state - previously they would stay at queued until a free download slot tried to connect the file).

A half dozen had started downloading by the time I came back (telling 1000 files to resume takes a few minutes to process :^) ), a few were waiting on busy - the majority were on requery.

> LimeWire runs slowly.

Initially it performed pretty well considering the load I was putting on it. But over the next 48 hours it was using more and more processor time despite me removing 500 or so files from the download queue.

> The downloads.dat file grows very large then shrinks.

Yes.

> Deleting downloads or incomplete files and restarting LimeWire does not help.

Perhaps it slowed down the rate at which things got worse. Or it may have been my fiddling that was making matters worse. Sorry I can't be more helpful here.

> What's the size of your download queue?

The maximum was 30 (I never achieve that many downloads - it has only ever made a difference to the rate at which queued files are converted to requery).

In an attempt to reduce CPU usage I dropped it down to 10 (and 5 briefly). It didn't appear to make any difference.

Since I deleted the download queue and started from scratch things have been running fine.

I currently have around 400 files in my download queue. The downloads.dat file is currently at 1,813 KB although it is growing at an appreciable rate (now 1,822 KB). And shrinking before coming back up to the current maximum size (looks as if the file is being re-written (hence the small sizes as I catch it part way through the re-write) and growing overall.) (now 1863 KB).

(now 1,894 KB).

Mark

(now 1,919 KB).