View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2002
LeeWare

Default Re: Firewalls and Limewire

Quote:
Originally posted by JDFedùle
I am using Jaguar's bulit in Firewall and I have only Personal File Sharing enabled. During the one day I was able to use Limewire without getting grilled by my parents for "endangering the local network", I found that when I hit the "Connect" button on Limewire, I was only able to connect for a split second, before being automatically disconnected again. I know for a fact that my internet connections and other settings are fine, and I suspect that this is the same problem that is stopping me from logging in to MSN, iChat, Hotmail and anything else that even sounds like it can be used to transfer files.

What I need to know is this: Are my problems arising from the fact that I have blocked the FTP Access port? If I enable it, will it affect anything else on my computer?

(I have already made a comment about this on the Limewire General Mac OS X Support forum, but that one was about the risks of using Limewire, not the firewall problems.)

I understand that Limewire and Firewalls dont go very well together, but does anyone have a workaround that I can use to a) use Limewire and b) not get grilled by my paranoid parents?

Any response would be welcomed.

I think it is important first of all to respect the wishes of your parents. Secondly, yes there are ways to participate in filesharing networks without compromising the security of your home network.

I could recommend a whole list of things you could do to keep your home network safe however I assume that your parents are concerned that you will download something and run it that will cause a heap of problems that you or them will not be able to fix.