Thread: Beaten to death
View Single Post
Old October 30th, 2002
LeeWare

Lightbulb Re: Beaten to death

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Okay, so I know it seems beaten to death to keep it up with the questions about not being able to connect--but then again, this is the forum for connection problems so here I go. But keep in mind I'm a virgin to these forums, so don't stone me if I say something idiotic. Like aforementioned by many people, Limewire just seemed to stop connecting a few days ago for me. Actually, for some strange reason, Limewire works around 4:00 am then stops working around 9:00 am. I thought that my problem lay in having a firewall, but forcing my IP makes no difference. Also, as I said, Limewire was working fine up until a few days ago, so my college probably doesn't care. I've downloaded probably every version of Limewire, so I doubt that my problem lies in which version I use. I know I may seem a bit ravenous. However, since I'm a Mac user (pouts), this is essentially my only option. I have an decrepid 333 MHz iMac (about 3 years old) with a G3 processor. Don't laugh. I'm on a school network connection, but I don't think that has anything to do with my problem. I don't think someone would just randomly block Limewire (or would they?). Any Mac users here that can attest? No...? Boy, tough crowd. Is there any special rule that I don't know about that prevents Limewire from working? For instance, someone told me that one must share at least 3 files for Limewire to work. I share over 300 files--at least that's what the screen says even though I'm not connected--for days at a time and I can't download anything for myself. I have no problem with sharing; I just wish I could get something myself. Also, is there any way I can change my firewall settings outside of Limewire, like downloading any sort of application? Now that I have told you my jeremiad, I humbly ask for someone's assistance. Please? I'll give you punch and cookies! By the way, I don't know if it's selfish to start an entirely new thread for this, so if it is, my humblest apologies.
I do not mean this to be offensive. If you are on a school network and suddenly cannot connect to gnutella AND you are not in anyway involved in the network management of your school network resources--it is a HIGH probablility that your connection to gnutella has been effectively cut off through some types of filtering efforts by your schools IT department as most schools are cracking down on this type of network usage. I would advise you to do the following:

Verify with your friends who may or may not be using their computer for filesharing and find out if they are having any connection problems.

Secondly read your computer use polocies to see if this type of traffic is ok with with your IT department OR if you are possitive that it is not a problem contact your local IT department and ask them to help you out.

I'm confident that they will be glad to offer assistance in resolving the matter.

Hope this helps.

http://www.leeware.com