Thread: Auto IP detect
View Single Post
Old November 1st, 2002
Valued Member contributor

LeeWare is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel
Lightbulb Technical Issues Detecting IPs

After watching this conversation I realize that this would be a nice feature for people who have problems setting up their NAT based host to use a single real IP.

There is a technical aspect to this whole issue that is being overlooked in requesting that the Limewire Application detect the IP and that technical aspect is this.

Internet -->Real_ip -->router -->NAT_address_space_hosts_apps

Because the Application is running on a NAT based Host the detection mechanism will use the stack on the local machine to determine the ip-address for the machine. Can anybody tell me why this does not accomplish what you want?

Can you see why this would be very problematic? If you can't figure it out I will explain it in another post.

Anyway since the IP translation is handled by the BRIDGE (I call it a bridge because most of these devices don't do any routing in the traditional sense of the word.) Your solution to this problem is simply as stated before by one of the other posters.

A. Enable port forwarding.
B. There are websites that can tell you what your real ip is (or IP address of your NAT-BOX)
C. Force this IP in limewire
D. If you have a DHCP ip address / from my experience unless they are forcing your device to change its IP address every few days--if you leave your NAT-BOX ON it will usually retain the address given to it over longer periods of time.

Again this has been my experience in what I've seen in the field.

I know people hate doing this type of administration but sometimes its necessary when you want to accomplish something that wasn,t designed to support all of its pactical implementations.

Hope this helps.

http://www.leeware.com