View Single Post
Old November 1st, 2002
Connoisseur

Julie Z is flying high

Hi.

I began using 2.7.3 a couple of days ago. I've had problems with instability in some previous versions, but nothing like this.

My system:

Mac G4 - 450 dual processor
2 HD - 30 and 40 GB (LW installed on secondary HD 30 GB)
386 MB RAM

It has been running very slow. It responds very slow to clicks or typing text. It freezes more often. No, not just more often, but every time I run it. I can't seem to get through the hashing process before it freezes (Over 650 files - music and video). I can move my mouse, but there is no response in LW or on my computer. I have to force quit, but then I can't click the 'button' to force quit and have to manually reboot. Sometimes it takes 3 restarts to get the computer running.

I did an uninstall and threw away all files that LW leaves (the props and jar files, etc.) and reinstalled. No help.

I am still in the habit not running any other apps while running LW. So, I'm not sure about conflicts. Though, one time I did a force quit, the prompt that came up asked if I wanted to force quit DVD Auto Player??? Sometimes it says the Finder. Even with separate HD's and more memory available, it's still quite unstable for me. But, my only choice. For the most part, I like it.

I figure the sluggishness is more due to the hashing. But, the freezing is something else. (I did receive a bug notice which I forwarded to Bugs @ Limewire.) I'm beginning to wonder if it'll ever finish hashing...

Will all future versions require this hashing process?