Thread: Little Idea
View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2002
Novicius

FuocoNero is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by cultiv8r
You could use multicasting, but there are two problems with that.

First is that most ISPs block multicast traffic (you send a byte, multiple recipients receive that same byte). Because the entire path between you (the uploader) and them (the downloaders) needs to be multicast enabled, you undoubtly run into a few points (ISPs) along that path that don't have multicasting enabled.
Maybe should be possible implement this feature for people who had a ISP that permit this type of multicast traffic; that should be a little improvement of network.
I think that also if there's 1% of users who can use multicasting the upload should be best.

Quote:
Originally posted by cultiv8r
The second problem is that multicasting is UDP based. It stands for User Datagram Protocol, but you could freely exchange that with "Unreliable Datagram Protocol" because UDP packets are not guaranteed to arrive at recipient. So a few recipient could end up swiss cheese - a file with lots of missing bytes. You could correct that by re-requesting a certain part of the file, but the cycle can continue over and over - thus eliminating what you were supposed to gain (speed).
If the problem of not guaranteed arrive of packet is due to receiver bandwith, should be possible splitting the uploader velocity in little piece that could be surely received.....

For example i have 15 KB/s of bandwith but i divide it little pieces of 2KB/s so also people with slow or difficulties connections can download it surely. If downloader can't guarantee such bandwith he'll be excluded from the streaming and will download the file from other source......

Quote:
Originally posted by cultiv8r With the advent of HUGE, some of these obstacles could be eliminated. If User 1 is downloading file XYZ and User 2 is requesting the same file, through HUGE you could tell User 2 to ask User 1 (who should already have portions of that file at that point). However, this would mean that User 1 must be able to upload a file it is currently downloading AND is sharing files...
So HUGE can't resolve the problem of uploading bandwith....

Thanks for your attention and can u tell me about where i can find documentation about HUGE, UDP and so on?

Last edited by FuocoNero; November 6th, 2002 at 03:21 PM.