View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2002
Apprentice

Thad is flying high

Thanks for the reply, linuxrocks. However, in my experience, downloads do not complete faster with the "partial content" feature. (Like I said, most of them do not complete at all, they simply disconnect at 97.7k, never to resume.) In fact, I'm not sure how it could be faster, as I have a DSL connection that needs a solid, continuous connection in order to ramp up to full speed, and that just doesn't happen in the space of 97.7k.

As for rotating downloads from multiple hosts, that might be great if you are downloading Eminem's latest, but most of the time the file I'm trying to download is only hosted by one source. When I've finally managed to track down a rare file, the last thing I want is to have my connection to the host severed mere seconds after it begun.

I'm not sure if the problem that the client is actually sending a "disconnect" message after each 97.7 chunk, or if some hosts incorrectly interpret the end of a chunk as their cue to to close the connection and offer up the download slot to someone else. Regardless, at this point this "feature" is causing far more harm than good and I hope these problems will be addressed soon.