View Single Post
Old November 19th, 2002
Unregistered

Default Getting better

Win98SE, all available patches and updates installed from windows update site, maintained religiously (defrag, scandisk, SFC), only the bare minimum of programs hogging resources at startup, PIII 400mhz, 128mb RAM, plenty of hard drive space across multiple partitions, connected via 10/100 ethernet card to XP server w/DSL internet connection.......
=====================
Ok, so after a fretful time with 1.4 b455 and b457, I returned to 1.32 both times. Unfortunately, 1.32 was crash after crash for me, every 5 minutes or so. It was bad before trying 455 and 457, but much worse after uninstalling and going back to 1.32. Today, I'm giving it a go with b461. So far, knock on wood, it has not shut down once. The constant problem I have with Xolox (happened with 1.32, not just 1.4) is that I never seem to be connected to very many hosts. I can set it for a minimum of 10 and only be connected to 3 hosts 99% of the time. Most downloads are reasonable, while some are painfully slow. I imagine that download speeds are only as good as the best connection rate (i.e. you or the client you are downloading from). 461 seems to have corrected the error messages on startup, shutdown, "apply" when in preferences, and the problem with the disappearing/not saved downloads. Will leave it running for the rest of the day and overnite and see what happens. But overall, a much more stable build than 457.