View Single Post
Old November 30th, 2002
Valued Member contributor

LeeWare is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel
Wink Regarding Comments from Trap_Jaw

Trap_Jaw says....

"In addition it will reduce the number of four-star results left over for people who are behind firewalls and who are depending on those four-star results (while non-firewalled users can easily download from 3-star results). Furthermore if a search for rare content returns you only 1-star results you will see no results at all, although there is a good chance you could be queued in the 1-star hosts upload-queue or that the 1-star host could tell you who else might have that file."

This is true and possible-however the subject of my post was "Maximizing Upload/Download Success." The intended audiance are those people who join the gnutella network and try for hours to download things unsuccessfully. This solution offers them immediate gratification.

So as I'm sure you have seen this has helped more people than you can image. I have received very few complaints about using these methods. So, I'm not sure I understand where your going with your comments.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Go to tools/options/filters/hosts under the disallow all messages from specific hosts add the following IPs: 192.168.*.* AND 10.*.*.*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trap_Jaw says....

"Not a good idea either. While firewalled users could never download from the hosts you block, a normal user ((could with a little luck.)) Apart from that you are effectively blocking ALL firewalled users who don't know how to force their IP address from Gnutella."

Luck is one thing. The purpose of my post is to provide users with a since of satisfaction. Again, I've received very few complaints about the methodologies I've outline. I should add however any user experienced enough to use this service with any success doesn't need this information. However for people you just like to jump on the computer and actually accomplish download something this information is very valuable to them. Yes - I am suggesting that people block all of the people who don't now how to force IPs for use on Gnutella. (This is part of the problem - these users cause tremendous amounts of frustration for other users. I assume, and it appears correctly, that they will figure it out when sharing lots of files with lots of hits an no uploads that something is wrong.) This thread was started to help them solve this problem. So, in my personal opinion I think it is a good idea.

quote:
I make this suggestion to filter out all the host who have incorrectly forwarded their private IP address on the network. These IP addresses are NOT routable and you will NOT be able to connect and download content from these hosts so ignore results from these guys.
Trap_Jaw says....

"That's wrong. LimeWire will not try to connect to them directly. It will broadcast a PUSH request so those firewalled hosts will make a connection to you, offering the file you wanted."

I think we are confusing Firewalled and NATed host issues. When you force the right IP on the network the PUSH requests work correctly. If you don't, this is what happens.

#1 Ping/Query Messages travel from Host to Host looking for content until the ttl has expired
#2 Pong/Responses Recurse the Query path to find the the host that issued the query. If my machine is a NATed machine it will respond with the ip of my private net. (192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.*) I would not be able to DOWNLOAD or send a PUSH request to this IP address. As the mechanism for doing file tranfers don't take place within the Gnutella network but between the two hosts i.e. the one issuing the query and the one responding to the query.

Trap_Jaw says....

"And don't forget to filter "/" while you're at it, since this character causes 90% of all CouldNotMoveToLibrary errors."

This was a good call as it is a problem experienced by many users.

quote:
[B]1. Make sure that you are not sharing from a work or school location as peer to peer traffic tends to be administratively prohibited. although it may not be explicitly blocked they could be applying quality of service rules to your traffic.

Trap_Jaw says....

"That means you cannot share with 100% of the bandwidth, so what? Most of the time you will not be able to connect to Gnutella at all, - and if you can connect to Gnutella you can probably share, too."

The reason I mention this is because in the cases where QoS is applied to P2P traffic the polocies tend to be strick which means that almost no-bandwidth is allocated to P2P traffic. So for instance anyone downloading or uploading on these connection can expect serious problems with the files tranfers. Take for instance a QoS polocies that says allow 4Kbps to P2P traffic means:

MP3 Size * BitRate = SizeInBit / QoSBitRateAllows = SecondsToDownload / MinutesToDownload = Download Time.

So, to download or upload a 4MB MP3 file with this QoS policy would take 2.2 Hrs to download/upload (So What?)
Limewire would report this as 0.5KB.

I Personally don't think that people with faster connection like waiting that long for a single file.

Hope this helps to clarify my position.