View Single Post
Old November 30th, 2002
Distinguished Member

trap_jaw is flying high
Default Re: Regarding Comments from Trap_Jaw

Quote:
"Not a good idea either. While firewalled users could never download from the hosts you block, a normal user ((could with a little luck.)) Apart from that you are effectively blocking ALL firewalled users who don't know how to force their IP address from Gnutella."

Luck is one thing. The purpose of my post is to provide users with a since of satisfaction.
A significant number of users has no direct connection to the internet, - and you are trying to help some users (with good connections who don't really need that help) while hurting others (who already have a lower QoS because they're firewalled). I don't even think you are effectively helping anyone, since you are telling people with good connections to ignore a good number of hosts they could actually download from.

Quote:
Again, I've received very few complaints about the methodologies I've outline.
That does not suprise me. Some users will see a better ratio of search results to working downloads. That's not because you helped them increase the number of working downloads but reduce the number of overall results (also ignoring results that might have worked without problems).

Quote:
Yes - I am suggesting that people block all of the people who don't now how to force IPs for use on Gnutella.
Forcing your IP address does not work in any case: You will need a router that supports port-forwarding and it has to be properly configured, too. Otherwise people will connect to your router (since you forced its IP address) and the router will simply discard those connection attempts because it doesn't know what to do with it. In some cases you will have to ask the admin of your network to set up port-forwarding for you, for example, - and that's not good if you are using Gnutella at a university or at school.
That's what PUSH was invented for. It works even when your IP is not forced.

Quote:
I think we are confusing Firewalled and NATed host issues. When you force the right IP on the network the PUSH requests work correctly. If you don't, this is what happens.

#1 Ping/Query Messages travel from Host to Host looking for content until the ttl has expired
#2 Pong/Responses Recurse the Query path to find the the host that issued the query. If my machine is a NATed machine it will respond with the ip of my private net. (192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.*) I would not be able to DOWNLOAD or send a PUSH request to this IP address.
You clearly didn't understand how PUSH works. - The PUSH message will recurse the path of the response and will reach the firewalled host through the peers that transmitted the queryhit to you. If you got a queryhit from a firewalled host and you are accepting incoming connections, you will be able to download from it. Forcing your IP address makes your NAT transparent, so you can accept incoming connections and you won't appear to be firewalled to anyone else on the network.

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Make sure that you are not sharing from a work or school location as peer to peer traffic tends to be administratively prohibited. although it may not be explicitly blocked they could be applying quality of service rules to your traffic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trap_Jaw says....

"That means you cannot share with 100% of the bandwidth, so what? Most of the time you will not be able to connect to Gnutella at all, - and if you can connect to Gnutella you can probably share, too."

The reason I mention this is because in the cases where QoS is applied to P2P traffic the polocies tend to be strick which means that almost no-bandwidth is allocated to P2P traffic. So for instance anyone downloading or uploading on these connection can expect serious problems with the files tranfers. Take for instance a QoS polocies that says allow 4Kbps to P2P traffic means:

MP3 Size * BitRate = SizeInBit / QoSBitRateAllows = SecondsToDownload / MinutesToDownload = Download Time.

So, to download or upload a 4MB MP3 file with this QoS policy would take 2.2 Hrs to download/upload (So What?)
Limewire would report this as 0.5KB.
That's what swarming is for - and I have no problem with waiting 2.2 hours, - it's better than if those people weren't sharing at all. Besides, I don't think you have any numbers on how many networks are effectively applying those policies. - You might very well be telling a lot of people to stop sharing files although their connection is perfectly alright.

Last edited by trap_jaw; November 30th, 2002 at 05:17 PM.