View Single Post
Old December 20th, 2002
Novicius

ClayD is flying high
Default RedHat 8.0 No Virtual Machine

Thank you for this thread, nDiScReEt. I did not view it at first, because it was very long. I thought it would be a general discussion, but when I read it I was surprised to see how many different and specific installation problems were addressed.

I'm afraid I may be misunderstanding some of the solutions. That's probably because I am a Linux novice and don't know the difference between Debian, Mandrake, and RedHat.

I found a problem very similar to mine. It is the missing Virtual Machine line for RedHat 8.0. I recently installed the most recent version of java, j2re-1.4.1.01 . Here is what my terminal says when I try to install LimeWire:

[root@localhost root]# /tmp
[root@localhost tmp]# sh ./LimeWireLinux.bin
Preparing to install...
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
No java virtual machine could be found from your PATH environment variable. You must install a VM prior to running this program.
[root@localhost tmp]#

I downloaded my java to my /tmp directory rather than home. Was that a mistake?

Maybe another problem would be my choice of terminal? I used the java -version command in my terminal (KDE X Terminal, Konsole 1.1.3) as "root." You mentioned a vi terminal, but I really don't know what it is. I tried to run vi in the run program,. but got nothing. When I ran the java -version command in KDE X Terminal, I got the following:

bash: java: command not found

That occurred before and after I ran the install line, which you suggested to Unregistered, but get a reply that the package is already installed!

It is installed at /usr/java

BUT - when I run java -version, I get the command not found line above.

Have I made a fundamental error somewhere?

Can you get me on track?

Thanks in advance,

ClayD

Last edited by ClayD; December 20th, 2002 at 01:41 PM.