View Single Post
Old December 20th, 2002
_eLeCtRiFyInG MeMbRr_

nDiScReEt is flying high
Default Re: RedHat 8.0 No Virtual Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by ClayD
Thank you for this thread, nDiScReEt. I did not view it at first, because it was very long. I thought it would be a general discussion, but when I read it I was surprised to see how many different and specific installation problems were addressed.

I'm afraid I may be misunderstanding some of the solutions. That's probably because I am a Linux novice and don't know the difference between Debian, Mandrake, and RedHat.

I found a problem very similar to mine. It is the missing Virtual Machine line for RedHat 8.0. I recently installed the most recent version of java, j2re-1.4.1.01 . Here is what my terminal says when I try to install LimeWire:

[root@localhost root]# /tmp
[root@localhost tmp]# sh
Thanks in advance,

ClayD
A few program clarifications before we begin:

vi is an editor like kate, kedit, emacs, and notepad.

A terminal is similiar to a "dos prompt" and the linux equivalents are Konsole, rxvt, Eterm, and Gnome Terminal.

Now onto your problem...

Let us define "installed" first. When you "installed" java to the /tmp directory, do you mean that is where you downloaded the java package? ...or where you directed the installation of java? Is this by means of a tar.gz file or rpm?

Let us assume that you are using a rpm. So, it is located in your /tmp directory.

Let us avoid "forcing" an install of your program on your system and simply remove and then reinstall your program.
Type this command into your kde terminal (as root):

su -c "rpm -e j2sdk-1.4.1_01-fcs" (this assumes you used the latest sun java package *Note**Replace "j2sdk with j2re if that is the package you used* ***Addedd Note***su -c is a "super user" command to execute a command as root. With the added flag "-c", it only allows you to execute the command following it once. The """ quotes are added because they are needed when there are spaces in a command string.****)

Now let us reinstall your package:

su -c "rpm -ivh /tmp/j2sdk-1.4.1_01*.rpm"

or

su -c "rpm -ivh /tmp/j2re-1.4.1_01*.rpm"

(Which one depends on if you downloaded the sdk (software development kit) or jre (java run-time environment). Thankfully, from this point we are finished with root!

Next, your command:

java -version

This time it should spit out some happy output:

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01-b01)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_01-b01, mixed mode

We want to next create the necessary environment variables in your .bash_profile or .bashrc which is located in your home directory ($HOME, ~/, or /home/(username))

Continuing writing commands from the command line:

kwrite $HOME/.bash_profile

or

kwrite $HOME/.bashrc

Replace "kwrite" with "kate" if you don't have kwrite installed on your system.

From there add the two lines:

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_01
export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

Save and quit out of "kwrite" or "kate".

Back to the terminal, type this command:

source .bash_profile

or

source .bashrc

Now, when you run this command:

which java

you should get:

/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_01/bin/java

NOw you can install LimeWire as usual.

HTH

altoine