View Single Post
Old December 24th, 2002
Software Developer

sberlin is flying high

>I left LimeWire on all night trying to upload some largish .avi files (56M) while others were trying to upload similar files. Both uploads and downloads skipped in and out continuously. Neither downloads or uploads got anywhere near completion even though the estimated completion time was only 2 hours.

januss -- try unchecking 'clear completed uploads', you'll see that the problem really is a display issue.

what is happening is that the most recent versions of limewire opted to try and let these chunked uploads display a smoother progress indicator. so, instead of using the requested size (which an intermediary version had done) to see the % completed, it uses the whole file size, and then appends the amount that was previously uploaded ..

since there is really no way for these chunked downloads/uploads (officially called HTTP/1.1 transfers) to say "I am eventually going to recieve this much in total", the time remaining becomes a complete estimate, and it was opted to assume that people will try to recieve the entire file.

this can have two different effects, depending on if you've got 'clear completed uploads' checked or not. if it is checked, after every chunk finishes, it will be wiped from the screen and the new chunk will be put in its place, but the progress will only go a meager amount, and the time remaining will appear completely off. if it isn't checked, the progress will smoothly flow to near-complete and the time remaning will appear closer. this will continue until the person is finished retrieving the file, at which point the status will stop at complete, but the progress may not necesarily be 100%, since they don't need the full file to be complete.

if you check the uploads column in the library tab, you'll see that these chunked transfers have a huge amount of completed / attempted uploads, because each little chunk is counted as a distinct upload. whether or not it should do this is another story - but it is an indicator that things are working the way they were meant to.

i agree that there could be some improvements to the display (and i've thought of a few ways to do it), but the core behavior -- namely the actual transfering of the files -- is working exactly as intended.