View Single Post
Old December 26th, 2002
Gnutella Jewel

mdouma46 is flying high
Default Re: kernel panic with 2.8.5

Quote:
Originally posted by bug
I'm using a PowerBook 667 and the built-in drive, OS X(10.1.5). Twice this version of Limewire has wiped out my computer. One time I had just initiated a search- the CPU went to max and the beachball started spinning and never stopped. Force quit didn't work. The other event may have been identical, don't remember well.
And so how exactly is this a kernel panic?! And what exactly do you mean by "wiped out my computer"?

If you're running 10.1.5 and you have a kernel panic, the kernel dumps the panic log overtop of your screen. It's white text on a black background. If you write down what is displayed, perhaps we can get to the bottom of this.

It is impossible for a piece of software running at the application level to cause a kernel panic, no matter how buggy the application is. The only thing that can cause a kernel panic is a poorly coded device driver (kernel extension -- ".kext" -- which works on a much lower level, between your hardware and your applications) or a bug in the kernel itself.

I'll agree with you that I've had non-stop performance problems with the latest versions of LimeWire, but I highly doubt it's causing kernel panics.

My guess is that it's the same Window Manager bug that the rest of us are seeing. As long as you have the Finder running and switch from LimeWire to the Finder, you could be experiencing this problem.

Instead of switching to the Finder and leaving LimeWire's window visible in the background, try holding down the Option key as you switch to the Desktop and see if that helps at all.

Hope this helps.....