View Single Post
Old December 29th, 2002
Disciple

bug is flying high

from mdouma46
"the kernel dumps the panic log overtop of your screen. It's white text on a black background."

Yep, that's right. A lot of gobbledygook all over my pretty screen and darn near impossible to read when mixed with the other stuff still on the screen. Until now I've never had a kernel panic and never actually met anyone who had one.

Well, there's been a lot of activity since last report. I reinstalled older version 2.7.x and ran it several hours to verify it's OK. I ran v.285 again for short periods in hopes of avoiding memory overruns (or whatever was causing the problem). I did have one more kernel panic, even though it was only running for under an hour.

There are plenty of other problems with v285 as have been noted. Some have persisted through many updates. For instance, I tell it I want to connect to 6 servers. From time to time Limewire decides that that means 3, 4, 5 or 7 servers and it is perfectly happy to go on that way for hours. Limewire often forgets 79 megabytes of an 80 megabyte file and resumes from the beginning again. Searching for a file will bring up 20 copies, but none of them can be downloaded for some strange reason. I suppose it is a matter of ego but Limewire still wastes huge amounts of screen space with large buttons, tabs, and empty space. Perhaps the programmers believe that nobody uses other programs and they have the right to monopolize the user's entire screen. These problems persist so long that it looks like serious neglect by the programmers.

As you use it you will notice that none of the Hosts you connect to are using version 285. Yet many people trying to upload from you are using it. So if lots of people are using it, and none of the hosts are using it, isn't that a clue that it is seriously flawed?

The program has so much promise. Multiple downloads of a single file works well. Better information is available as connections break and resume (it's frightening to watch as the last 3 minutes of a long download stretches into dozens of broken connections and 30 minutes during which you fear it will be another start-from-scratch download.) You can put a file on your 'wish list', and I hope to see that actually work for me soon. You can browse another user's computer (theoretically, I've never got this to succeed either). Your computer doesn't freeze for long periods as it did with early versions. Last, but not least, Limewire is the only decent gnutella system for the Mac. Limewire gets better each time and it breaks my heart that this current version breaks my entire computer and I can't use it.

Tom