View Single Post
Old January 13th, 2003
Gnutella Admirer

jannuss is flying high
Default I've simply run out of ideas

I've tried all the suggestions made above that apply to my Mac and nothing's helped.

I've trolled the Forums for assistance and only found fellow sufferers.

No reliabe software developer releases a system as unstable as 2.8.5 (basically, it's a beta) and then sends his entire team on a three week vacation.

Briefly: I'm attempting to share a library of 40+ large (50-400MB) avi and mpeg files. I downloaded about half of these under LimeWire 2.7.6 and 2.7.13. The second half comes from other sources.

There are twenty avi/mpg files I'd like to add to my library. I've found at least 2 or 3 sources for all of them on gnutella. Many of then show up in my frequent searches.

However, since installing 2.8.5, I haven't been able to download any file that takes longer than 7 minutes -- most download attempts don't last even 5 minutes. The only way to get downloads to restart is to quit LimeWire and relaunch. Then, I get another 5-7 minutes from the same hosts as before. I can leave LimeWire running 48 hours straight, it doesn't matter. Downloads will not resume unless I relaunch.

On the upload side: I leave LimeWire running almost evey night. When I get up in the morning, I usually find about dozen or more uploads of my large files. Bearshare, gnutella, Sharezade, etc all show 100% complete. Some LimeWire 2.7.x and 2.4.x also show 100% complete. ALL LimeWire 2.8.5 uploads show Transfer Interrupted or are frozen at 5-10% "complete." I have not seen a single LimeWire 2.8.5 user complete an upload, ever.

The parcelled download/complete/download transmission philosophy used by 2.8.x is clearly flawed. Something about the system causes hosts to "time out" any download that takes more than seven minutes.

I'm not complaining that 2.8.5 is slow [it does appear to be, but I haven't taken any measurements]. I'm not complaining that it's buggy [it is -- there's the Window Manager bug, the cannot move to library bug, and others]. I'm complaining that it fails to perform the function for which it was designed. LimeWire 2.8.5 does NOT facilitate the download/upload of Gnutella files.

2.8.5 is a failure. The LimeWire team needs to fix it or withdraw it, not dump an untested system on users then abandon them for three weeks.

It I sound angry, I am. I woked in software development for 30 years. I made plenty of mistakes in my time, but I never walked out on users and left them to cope with my errors.

Janet