View Single Post
Old January 13th, 2003
Connoisseur

Julie Z is flying high

I do believe that there is a problem with the speed (or lack thereof) variations using LimeWire.

However, people do misrepresent themselves when entering their preferences for their actual speed. Myself included. I claim to be T3 when I am actually a Cable user. If I choose cable, uploads slow to 2 Kb/sec per person. If I choose T3, they are able to upload much faster. Usually around 20+ Kb/sec. For some reason, LimeWire chooses to put limits based on connection speed. It seems that it should be left open so that the uploads can be limited by the users actual bandwidth. Not LimeWire's guess of bandwidth, as they all vary.

Also, I can have more connections up at one time. More search results that way.

So, selecting only DSL or higher does not actually mean you are downloading from DSL or higher users. I now select all and if I see a "T3" download going at 0.4 Kb/sec, I kill it and choose another.

p.s. I just saw stung4ever's post. That is also true, people can limit (lower to 25% of available bandwidth) upload speed. Maybe it keeps more bandwidth speed available for downloads. Or maybe they just think that it does. I'm not sure how that works.

Last edited by Julie Z; January 13th, 2003 at 07:16 PM.