View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2003
Apprentice

melismatica is flying high
Question File Results Not Displaying in Field, only stars, etc

Okay, I have seen this message a few times from different users with no responses. I responded to another user's complaint basically to say that I was experiencing the same problem but as yet had found no solutions. I am running Limewire Pro 2.8.6, installed today, on a MacG3, OS 8.6 with an added external hardrive. I am connected via Cox high speed internet through a Toshiba PCX1100.
I have a few problems and am really unhappy with Limewire right now. I was using the old, free version, with no problems as long as I stuck to mp3 audio files and didn't get to excited about downloading video files since I was only once or twice able to download a video file.
Today I got a message saying I had to upgrade to 2.8.6 so I went ahead and paid my $9.50 and downloaded Pro. It sucked from the start. First, I was excited. I did a search for a ***** and ********* video, ********* *****, using the title, and video file option. I also did a search just for ***** and *********- video, and *************-video, and*************-video. Amazingly, I got one hit for each search. WOW! But when I tried to launch any of the files I got a message saying I was missing software that was needed to view the file. Huh? I had Quick Time movieplayer. What else did I need? This led me on a pointless expedition trying to figure out what was missing in my Quick Time folder. I wound up just downloading QT 6 again and re-installing it. Still, I got that error. Than I realized that all these files were surprisingly the same size, 67K. Also, they all had the exact same wording as my search. Bogus files. What is the point of these?
I figured the added search options (which really aren't new---most of them were in the free version--you just had to look harder for them) would cut down on the ridiculous amount of irrelevant hits. I entered the artist's name, album title, song title, and STILL I came up with 300+ irrelevant results because the word 'love' was in the title. I discovered any time I did a video search, no matter what it was, I would get one bogus hit such as the one I described a few sentences back. But worst of all was that somehow, while trying to figure out how to reload a search (which I so far haven't discovered) I messed up the monitor fields and lost the 'name' info. When I do a search, the quality, the bit rate, file type, size,chat icons all show. Everything but the most pertinent information to me. The file name!!! HELLO?! All the tabs drag around like pieces in one of those puzzles where you move the tiles around a little plastic square. Occasionally I am able to get the letters 'na...' to show and some of the first few letters of the file name, "the bea...."..etc.
I have seen quite a few post regarding this but no answers! I am really hating that I paid for this crap and aggravation. How do I get my money back? I didn't love Limewire to begin with but as a Mac user I don't have a lot of choices. BTW, how do you reload a search so you don't have to re-type all the info when your results suck? Which so far they have. I have tried to be as specific as possible in my heading and my description of the problem(s). PLEASE someone give me an answer! I KNOW I'm not the only one having this problem. BTW, the Limewire PRO PDF user 'manual' is crap that you shouldn't waste any hard drive space on. Unless you are a total idiot you will figure out most of the info it provides on your own. Also, the FAQ page on Limewire PRO site sucks and is really hard to read. The headings are confusing sentence fragments and there is a ridiculous amount of empty space between links. These folks design software. Why can't they design a simple FAQ page for Pete's Sake?

Last edited by 6_pac; April 1st, 2009 at 11:32 PM.