View Single Post
Old February 16th, 2003
Gnutella Admirer

Cougar is flying high
Default No - The Missing Search Window contents remain absent

Thank you very much for the list of links above. It took me some time to sit down and read and research them all. I have verified that none of them are my problem. I have always got at least 500Meg FREE at all times when using LimeWire 2.8.6 and I run Win2000 not a mac as all the others. So my problem is different from any of theirs, and I was unable to find a resolution using their fixes and ideas.

The weird thing here is that I have exacted the issue down to a very specific bit of LimeWire code. Every feature and 'window' of Limewire works perfectly and reliably, except the top right Search Window RESULTS (white background) Text.

What works? --->> The Search Feature in every option possible. The bars to resize windows (within the main top search tab, meaning the grey leftside window, the lower right download window and the SPACE allocated for top right search results window) all work fine.

So if the top right search window is failing to load on startup, then what is missing?? ----->> Well this will be easier to show you what IS There. (Perhaps I should take a screen capture and link it here.... hmmmmm.. Would that even be helpful?) Anyway, when I do 3 searches, there appear 3 tabs in the Results Window. The text in the grey tabs is also fine, including the number found. However when you click on a tab it SHOULD show you the list of results... and allow you to sort them. NO TEXT COMES UP - and NO MENU BUTTONS to sort with are showring at any time.

On the other hand, keep in mind that the sorting buttons are showing up just fine in every other window, including the lower download part of the Search page. In Fact, on the middle bar, 'download' (or wishlist), 'chat', and 'browse host' are all available fine too. Its just the inner white background text and menu for Search results that fails to load on startup.

My idea is that this is a registry corruption of type that is NOT repaired when uninstalling, and reinstalling LimeWire. Since it started, I even installed older versions, and they also have the same problem now.

I'm SURE if a real LimeWire Coder just was able to read this problem, he or she could verify the exact code block which is failing to initialize, and write a quick script that I could run to log errors on startup, thereby showing them and me the location of the corruption, and hopefully giving us a suggestion on what to edit to fix in the system.

I have to use 2.3.3 until someone can help me resolve my 2.7/2.8 LimeWire Failure. If you have any experience with this problem, or ideas and want to take a shot, please respond here. I'll check back every day. Thanks.

Last edited by Cougar; February 16th, 2003 at 07:02 AM.