Thread: Leaf Node!
View Single Post
Old March 8th, 2003
Distinguished Member

trap_jaw is flying high
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Leaf Node!

Quote:
Originally posted by Joakim Agren
That Windows 98 and Millenium and NT users was not allowed to become UltraPeers was a surprise to me. So that means that virtually only Windows XP users are good UltraPeers and SUN/Solaris users?
Yes, that's right. Windows 98 & Windows ME had some problems regarding ther TCP implementation I believe. Windows NT had stability problems anyway, so that leaves you with Windows 2000/XP and Linux/Solaris. Of course there are also lot's of MacOSX ultrapeers but LimeWire is trying to preference other operating systems.

Quote:
I once saw a post here on the forum from a developer who said that users that had a bandwidth less then 1.5Mbit/s should not become UltraPeers simply because they do more harm then good. Thats why I never gives the advice to users who have less to become UltraPeers. But in the new future UltraPeer scheme I guess that that is no longer the case.
LimeWire has been limiting the outgoing bandwidth used for gnutella messages for ALL ultrapeers to 15kbytes/s since version 2.6 (I think), so if you have 128kbit upstream and a little more in the other direction you are perfectly suited to become an ultrapeer.

Quote:
[b]Then how come that you can fake your speed. Lots of Modem and Cable/DSL users out there claim they are T-1 or even T-3 users. I always tought that LW was unable to see the true speed just guess the speed and therefore users most likely to be a true T-1 user will show up as green in the search result field.
Many clients allow their users to fake their speed. - Despite having a T1 connection some users might still limit their upstream for uploads to something like 2-3 kbytes per second.

--Fischmob