View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2003
Apprentice

timothyr is flying high
Lightbulb WMP9 busts share/save settting

Sorry for cross-post, but I think some of the seeming illiterates may be runnning into a real problem that I've been having since downloading windows media player 9. Suddenly, all sub-folders of Program Files (thus the default shared/library directory) are set to read-only, so LimeWire won't let you save files to the default shared directory. I didn't touch limewire, and suddenly it's saving to user-specific "my files" directories, but still sharing from the now read-only shared dir.

Worse, the read-only permission setting can't seem to be unset (I try, and it just reverts to read-only). I could set LimeWire to use a desktop folder for sharing/saving, but that seems like a hack (and I don't really want to move gigs of files either... fragmentation much?).

Long story short, it's a very real possibility that people are simply unable to set their save and shared directories to be the same location due to a windows media player-caused permissions problem (I should say "apparently WMP9-caused," but I've read enough posts about it here and elsewhere that I'm pretty sure this is not a coincidence).

I'm terrified of uninstalling WMP9, since last time I uninstalled such an embedded MS product, I got the blue screen of death.

HELP!!!