View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2003
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about

Fair enough. Java 1.4.1 does look positive, and I'm looking forward to Acq adopting the new developments seen in LW 2.9.2 (alpha). Still, I've had more good results from LW today than I've seen in a long time (I especially like the promise of the magnets), so I'm regaining hope for p2p on OSX. The gnutella network has had some bad times the last few months (I started using LW when the slide in the "historical record" really dropped), so you've at least had memories of better times.

Stuke, is there a fairly reliable way to test the merits of both? I don't trust my impressions because the network variables seem to outweigh any client advantages. I'm starting to learn how to use the terminal: do you know if I can enter a line to record the performance of the p2p clients? If we could try downloading/uploading the same small set of files, maybe we could get a handle on some of the variables, including client performance. Looks like we have the same OS, and I can use my wife's 800 G4 FP iMac DVD. I'm on a 700 iBook, and there's a 500 iBook I might be able to enlist. Others might be able to chip in too.

Any merit, or is everything changing so quickly that this would be pointless?