View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2003
Novicius

qemilo is flying high
Default An Idea to improve Gnutella

I was thinking. I have this computer, 2.4 Ghz p4, 500 MB RAM, 80 GB hard disc, and an ADSL connection. Most of the time these resources are not in use at all. So, it would be nice if my computer could serve Gnutella while I dont use it myself. Use all my bandwith, prosessor, RAM, and maybe a couple of GB of my hd. Maybe it can serve as a matchmaker, so when people enter gtk-gnutella they submitting their share-info to these "Heavy-ultra-servers", and when people execute a search, the search will reach these servers first, the server serach through its collected who-is-keeping-which-files, and matching the searcher with whichever computer having the wanted files.
I belive this would make people get faster respons on their searches, and make it easier search trough all the gnutella-boxes round the world.
Also it would be nice if such an application was started as a daemon at bootup, and put the computer in gnutella-server-mode when comuter is not in use, maybe with a link to the screensaver system.

Is this a good Idea?

If so, is any gnutella developers reading this forum?
Is there a better place to post ideas like this?

Qemilo