Thread: Another moan
View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2003
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about

Wow! That was a quick decision David--welcome to the world of OSX. Did the switch solve the crashing problem? Can you also add the versions of LW and OSX you are now using? Too, run the System Preference "Software Update" to download any new Apple updates.

I'm puzzled by the flashing, so only guesses here. Your password probably needed to be stored as an new "cookie" in your browser, so shouldn't prove to be an on-going problem. Interesting observation about the uploads. I think you have observed the major headache of gnutella--the FIREWALL!

In the System Preferences (the OSX eqivalent of the Control Panels) you should see an icon called "Sharing." Look at the tab called "Firewall," and I expect you'll see that the firewall is on, blocking most of the "ports" or ways the system allows different internet programs to communicate with your computer. This is where I'm really stuck, since I'm still trying to figure out how to allow gnutella clients like LW and Acquisition (the most popular other OSX p2p client) to access my files. I could just click the "stop" button for the firewall and disable it, but I'm still trying to learn the risks involved.

Would a better helper than I jump in here and help us? What's the best way to set up the firewall to run LW on OSX, and can we get some idea of the risks involved? Or, if anyone can help us better phrase the question, I'll find a way to get Pro Support to help.

David, please drop the suicide sig--I want to take it as a joke, but the risks are far too high for relaxed communication.

Cheers--seriously! This peer to peer sharing of the problems is supposed to be fun here!

Last edited by stief; March 19th, 2003 at 01:15 PM.