View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2003
Gnutella Admirer

jannuss is flying high
Default LimeWire 2.9.7 -- Comments

Running LimeWire 2.9.7 on a G4/400MHz, 512MB with OS 10.2.4, java 1.4.1 and a 1.5Mb (200KB) ADSL line.

I was pleased to see on the Acquisition Network pane that a healthy number of Ultrapeers on my Network run 2.9.7. Decided that it was time to take another look see.

On the minus side:
1. On my G4/400MHz LimeWire remains a stand-alone application. The Window Manager bug remains so pronounced that any attempt to run any other application freezes the cpu!

This bug has been around since 2.7.x. You'd think it would have earned some attention by now.

2. When running standalone, LimeWire functions normally, but response to any of the menu buttons is very slooooow.

3. Some of my downloads start well and then get hung at 0.0kB/s. I believe that this is another old bug.

On the plus side:
4. The SHA1 hash computation now runs rapidly and without a glitch. 2.9.7 computed the hashes for 25 files (300MB) without distrubing the function of the rest of the application -- previous versions would get hung.

When I have time I'll add my remaining 80 files [8GB] and see how LimeWire functions.

5. Search results were good, but not as good as I expected. Of course, I was running at an odd time of day [6:00GMT on a Monday]. This could also explain why no one attempted to upload any of my files.

6. Several downloads completed rapidly.

In general, I like what I'm seeing, but there's still a lot to be done before I could become a regular LimeWire user.

I'll try to find time this weekend to try out 2.9.7 when Gnutella is more heavily populated.

Janet