View Single Post
Old April 3rd, 2003
Apprentice

jcmartin is flying high
Question Private network / Custom version

One of the most exciting aspects of P2P is its use as an enabler of specific communities. I am interested in creating distinct XML types for documents that support workgroups, such as designs, presentations, pricing, etc., described by metadata specific to those domains.

Has anyone extended the XML description set and added to the overall messaging set to support a secure, custom application? I am working on a version of Limewire for knowledge sharing in which the metadata works both ways -- a query is sent out based on a subset of an object's ontology, and the entire set is returned and displayed in the result set. As a primitive example of this, look at the way KaZaa includes a keyword set and comments that are displayed in flyovers for each located file. I want to create a version of Limewire the is extensible based upon the XML descriptors only.

I have just begun analyzing the 2.8.5 source, so much of this may already be available. If so, is there a description of the QueryReply mechanisms and code that would point to how this would best be extended?

Thanks,
John Martin