View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2003
91 is my age not my IQ!

David91 is flying high
Default Jaguar

Hi

I've just upgraded from 10.1.5 to 10.2.4. The good news is that I have not experienced any difficulty with the enhanced security features and LW, but it did cause two major problems with some of my other applications that have taken days to work around — be prepared for printer problems since other OSX forums confirm my experience is an unresolved system bug with Printer Center.

In fact, the upgrade has produced a more stable version of LW that freezes and crashes less often, so you should be able to achieve better results with fewer interruptions. To answer some of your questions:

I feel it is better to maximise the number of people able to access your files. Twenty is a reasonable number. The way LW is configured means that your own needs take priority over the hopeful uploaders and your system will only allocate bandwidth to them if you are not using it. Thus, it promotes harmony on the system by maximising access when your are relatively inactive.

In theory, every file in your Shared file will be available for uploading, but the number that will actually be shown to the world depends on the efficiency of the "local" Utrapeers and the extent to which your own leaf is "noticeable". If you only have your computer on for short periods of time and you have only a few files that are readily available elsewhere, then you will get only a few hits and even fewer uploads. Some of my files can get 100+ hits per hour but they are not uploaded (incidentally, I average about 25 completed uploads per hour so the hundreds of other wannabee uploaders never made connection or, if they did, the connection failed to deliver more than a few kbs).

Some of your other questions are not relevant to starting out to explore the practicalities of how LW works. Nothing beats hands-on, active engagement with the world. Treart LW like a computer game where the quickness of your hand-to-eye co-ordination delivers results and you will have fun and grab some good files. You don't need the theory to have fun.

David