View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2003
Distinguished Member

trap_jaw is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by bubba
"trap_jaw The new version improved the average number of search results (especially for rare content) significantly. "

but in a different thread you said.....

"However it is very likely that a search will return more results if it is really popular."

So which is it?
I don't see a contradiction, so I'd say both. Rare files can be found more easily. The number of search results is now limited by the ultrapeers you are connected to but searches for popular content return more results than they should (the result limit is at 240 results atm but you might still get some 400 or 500 results).

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I really like Limewire, but I seem to have taken a big hit since I upgraded from 2.8.6.

I used to leave my machines on the network all the time because the requeiry feature did always find the files (sometimes it took a couple days, but I always got the file). I can't believe you took that away. This one change alone seems to have made the product useless. That and not being able to configure the number of connections.
Yes, but the traffic the requery feature caused was more than the network could manage. The number of searchable ultrapeers had been limited drastically so LimeWire decided to filter all requeries by all servents so manual queries could reach more ultrapeers and effectively search a bigger part of the network.

--Fischmob