View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2003
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about

hi sam--hope you get an easter break too. I've been trying to follow your work on the compression stuff, and it looks pretty interesting for Ultrapeers. Thanks again for the tip on reading the dev mailing lists to get a sense of what is happening. Much less frustrating (but less entertaining) than reading a bunch of "doesn't work" posts looking for troubleshooting tips.

I haven't bothered with a list of the gui glitches, since it looked like the team was busy with the cross-platform search and connection issues. Too, I figured most of the GUI stuff would be java 1.3 related on OSX, so thought that when LW switched to using 1.4.1, I'd start paying more attention. Acq looks to have done a very nice job working those out.

Just off the top of my head, the bugs that seem to be GUI related are

--LW crashing as Ultrapeer. I sent in quite a few crashlogs on this one, and hope it can be fixed soon so I can run reliably as an Ultrapeer rather than as a leaf.

--columns not refreshing a sort quickly. I usually have to scroll up and down one screen to get reliable views.

--"Could not move to Library" triggers a blank display in the Library Pane

--the close button on search tabs above the first row doesn't work (the command-click does)

--would like to see tooltip data for completed uploads, and a better way to follow chunked uploads than just "complete" for each chunk in the Monitor Pane. Too, reporting of KB/s in the 0-1 range would be appreciated. This would help me optimize for sharing. (adding the vendor info has been very useful here)

Is that enough for starters, or are there others you like us to watch for? Would a new thread in the Beta forum be a better place for this? I could delete this post and start a new thread there if you think that would be useful.

Cheers--hope your internship with LW is rewarding.