View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2003
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about

Merci et voilą --tried posting within a few minutes of your results, but the site was down. 64 hosts, eh! I wrongly thought 32 was the norm. So no problem resolving the IP's. Hmmm. 10BaseT Ethernet, or did you set up for the 100?

it's my NAT software, then (an old Mac IIci running IPNetRouter68K software), which has worked well for four years, but not good enough for gnutella I guess. The family has been bugging me for AirPort, but casual research tells me it's just as bad. More reading needed. And yeah, 6346 mapped, IP forced (if only 1 client active), quick check of upload bandwidth : 592709 bps, or 592 kbps. Haven't seen any problems with CPU and memory % on my 700 G3 (10.2.6) with the recent 2.9's.

Neat about the compression. With both up and down allowed, 50% savings here too for messages. Kept watching for 2.9.10 up or downloads just in case someone had the HTTP compression enabled. Does seem very promising (and maybe the first step to encrypted packet-shaping?).

Still, if 50% of gnutella users are behind all sorts of routers, maybe LW could filter/throttle incoming connections to get around saturating older and less efficient routers. As a leaf, LW seems to try three at a time, but as an UP, connections seem to try in blocks of 10. My router can add blocks of 3 fairly smoothly, but not 10.

osu_uma-- and others-- any suggestions about becoming Ultrapeers with routers?