View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2001

chr_rossi is flying high
Default Re: Please Help - Newbie question

[I downloaded gnucleus onto my hard drive and installed it (is this the only thing I need?).]

Yes, it is :-)

[When I go to gnucleus.exe I see a connections window showing me lots of updating nodes(?), port 6346, distance ? and status 'connecting'. It also says cache full.]
You see, gnutella is a highly distributed network with no central server, so each one has to do that by connecting to each other, transmitting queries etc. So a 'node' is a computer like yours. Ports are, so to speak, inpu/output routes, and port 6346 is default. Distance: When you search something, your query (and hits, hopefully will be transmitted from node to node. So: Nodes away from you. While not connected (I mean while gathering IPs through adress servers not through broadcasted IPs) it is meaningless in this context.

[the keyword entry bit is greyed out .]
The keyword entry will be available when one ore more connections are established.

[after some time the cache starts to change to percentages (Cache at 76% etc and keeps decreasing).]
This is (as far as I know) a host name cache and not important for searching.

[Then the program crashes also.]
Gnucleus crashes sometimes, admitted...

[How do I connect and get to share files? I have never used Gnutella b4.]
It is very important to make connect - without no searches. You have to be a bit patient while starting - allow 2 min or so. Biggest goal is to catch one connection, others will follow fast then. You could also get start IPs from elsewhere (look into the threads here; there are mentioned plenty); cut and paste them, and do not forget the port number (again: def. 6346). If you are using a firewall, configure it appropriate.

Fell free to ask more, if needed

Greetings....